The Wisconsin Department of Transportation has some recommendations for safe winter driving. These seem like they might fall under common sense, but it doesn’t hurt to keep them in the front of your mind when the snow falls.
- Clear snow and ice from all windows and lights.
- Pay attention.
- Leave plenty of room for stopping.
- Leave room for maintenance vehicles and plows.
- Know the current road conditions. View winter road conditions..
- Watch for slippery bridge decks.
- Don’t use your cruise control in wintry conditions.
- Don’t get overconfident in your 4×4 vehicle.
- Do not pump anti-lock brakes.
- Look farther ahead in traffic than you normally do.
- Remember that trucks are heavier than cars.
- Go slow!
source: WI DOT